Thursday, April 30, 2009

Reflection 7

Throughout this semester I have been putting in practice all the tips I've been given from my instructors. The tip I found very helpful is what Mrs. Barbara Luther told to my ESL 184 class at the beginning of my journey at Fullerton College. She said that back in her high school years she would feel more inspired to write at the end of the night because there was nothing but silence in her house and that indeed her best essays were the ones she had written almost before dawn. Likewise, I myself feel the same not only when writing, but also by studying. It's very exciting to see how much I can study when there's no noise annoying me. I live In a small apartment so most of the time I have to deal with my mother cooking, my father watching T.V. or my sister talking through the phone. It actually takes me time to go back to my readings especially when I have been reading too much. For example, I rather waited until everybody fell asleep to continue with the things they carried reading because my sister interrupted me for being in my bedroom watching some silly but classic Latin soap opera where the poor girl falls in love with a rich generous man and struggles to marry him because his family doesn't accept her for being poor. Additionally, I think when I stay overnight studying the time goes slower than during the day. I tried to read the chapter "ambush" on the things they carried at 12 pm and by the time I finished a couple of pages It was already 2:15 pm and I had to go to work. On the other hand, I finished speaking of courage from page 137 to page 145 in about 20 minutes because I was reading at one in the morning. I felt like I was reading in my first language. It's amazing how much we can improve our skills when we are concentrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment